VA Major Programs

The Post-9/11 GI Bill®

Provides eligible Servicemembers and Veterans up to 36 months of educational benefits. Your Post-9/11 GI Benefits may include financial support for school tuition and fees, books/supplies, and housing. You may be eligible for Post-9/11 GI benefits if you:

  • Have at least 90 aggregate days of qualifying active service after September 10, 2001 or
  • Were honorably discharged from active duty for a service-connected disability after serving at least 30 continuous days after September 10, 2001.

As of August 1, 2009, the Post-9/11 GI Bill® is effective for training. Approved training under the Post-9/11 GI Bill® includes graduate/undergraduate degrees, and vocational/technical training. All training programs must be offered by an institution of higher learning (IHL) and approved for GI Bill® benefits. Additionally, tutorial assistance, licensing and certification test reimbursement are approved under the Post-9/11 GI Bill®.

If you are eligible at the one hundred percent benefit level and you attend school where tuition and fees exceed the maximum Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefit available by law, additional financial support may be available under the Yellow Ribbon program, go to

Montgomery GI Bill® - Active Duty (MGIB-AD) or Chapter 30 

Provides up to 36 months of education benefits, including college, vocational/technical training, correspondence courses, apprenticeships/on-the-job training, flight training, licensing and certification tests, entrepreneurship training courses, Tuition Assistance: "Top-Up", and national examinations. You may be eligible for MGIB-AD benefits if you:

  • While you are on or after you separate from active duty. At a minimum, you must have a high school diploma or GED.
  • Received an honorable discharge. You generally have 10 years from your last date of separation from active duty.

Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program (DEA)

Provides assistance for degree and certificate programs, apprenticeships/on-the-job training, correspondence courses, and other programs. You must be the son, daughter, or spouse of a Veteran/Servicemember. The program offers up to 45 months of education benefits. If you are the son/daughter, you generally must use your benefits between the ages of 18-26. If you are the spouse, your benefits end 10 years from the date VA finds you eligible or from the date of death of your spouse. For more information, visit the GI BILL® website

California College Fee Waiver

It waives the tuition and student service fee for undergraduate and graduate students, and the professional degree supplemental tuition for professional school students. For a list of these fees, please visit the Tuition and Fees Schedule. This program does not cover the expense of books, parking or room and board. There are four plans under which dependents of veterans may be eligible. (Plan A/B/C/D)

VA Work-Study Allowance Program

If you are receiving GI Bill®, Vocational Rehabilitation, Dependents Educational Assistance or Reserve Educational Assistance benefits and you are enrolled at least three-quarter time (9 semester units), you can receive a work-study allowance (in addition to your education benefits) based on the number of hours work you perform. To apply for a work-study position, you must complete the VA Work Study Application.

Please email your completed application to Marijke D. Gray, Veterans Resource Specialist. Upon receipt of your completed application, we will contact you to schedule an interview.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs(VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at​gibill.