Definitions and Additional Information

Academic Standing

A GPA of 2.0 is required to meet the COM graduation requirements.  A veteran or dependent veteran who has less than a 2.0 cumulative GPA in three consecutive semesters (not including summer) will have his or her veterans benefits terminated.

Advance Payment

Available only to Chapter 30 eligible. Advance payment provides payment for the first partial and first whole month of the enrollment being certified. The next check will be received at the end of the next month.

To receive Advance Payment, you must complete and sign the Veterans Benefit/Request for Certification Form, available at the Admissions and Records Office. You must be enrolled at least half-time status and there must be more than 30 days between terms.

Calculating Payment for Full-Time/Three-Quarter/Half-Time Enrollment

For fall and spring semesters:

  • 12 or more units (of full semester courses) is considered full-time
  • 9–11.5 units (of full semester courses) is considered three-quarter-time
  • 6–8.5 units (of full semester courses) is considered half-time

For summer sessions:

  • 4 or more units (of full session courses) is considered full-time
  • 3 units (of full session courses) is considered three-quarter-time
  • 2 units (of full session courses) is considered half-time

NOTE: Because the VA will only pay for the time you are actually attending courses, if you are enrolled in short term classes during the fall, spring and/or summer, the unit value for payment will be calculated into the full term, three-quarter term, or half term attendance only during the time the course is in session and not the entire semester.

Dropping One or More Courses

If you drop one or more of your courses, you should always notify VA and your school’s certifying official as soon as possible.  If you drop after the end of the school’s drop period, you will need to let VA know the reasons for the change.  Unless you can show that the change was due to mitigating circumstances, VA must reduce or stop your benefits from the beginning date of the term. 

English or Math Remedial Courses

The VA will not pay for English and/or math remedial course work unless COM test results show the course is necessary.  Verification of remedial test scores must be on file in the Admissions and Records Office prior to certification with the VA.

Military Credit

Students who have completed at least one year of active military service may submit a Student Petition (available through the Admissions and Records Office) and attach a copy of their DD Form 214 (showing honorable discharge) to request to the COM Admission and Records Office and receive 5 units of PE.  These units will appear in the memoranda section of the grade record.  Students must have completed 12 units at COM to be eligible.

Retroactive Benefits

VA benefits are paid for enrollments up to one year prior to the date VA receives a student’s application.

VA Payments

The VA will only pay for COM programs approved by the California State Approving Agency for Veterans Education (CSAAVE) that lead to a degree or certificate or COM coursework which will transfer to an approved four-year institution.

New/transfer students can expect to begin receiving VA funding in about six weeks from the first day of your beginning semester.