Resources to Help

Driver License and ID program partners include the California Department of Veterans Affairs (CalVet), CVSOs, and DMV. The program honors the military service of our Veterans. As part of the program, more than 7,400 Veterans who visited a CVSO also learned about and filed new benefit claims. Additionally, a VETERAN designation often means a business can easily confirm Veteran status when offering discounts on holidays such as Veterans Day.

To obtain the VETERAN designation, follow these three easy steps:

STEP 1 – Find your military discharge certificate (DD214). If you need assistance obtaining your military records, then contact a CVSO. To find a local CVSO, call 844-737-8838 or visit
STEP 2 – Take your DD214 and government identification to a CVSO and obtain your completed and stamped Veteran Status Verification Form.
STEP 3 – Visit or call DMV at 800-777-0133 for an appointment. Then bring your Veteran Status Verification Form to a DMV field office. Complete your application, and pay any fees, including the $5 fee to add the Veteran Designation.

Help Make a Difference if you know that one phone call can be the difference in the life of a Veteran who is homeless or at imminent risk of becoming homeless. Call 877-4AID-VET (424-3838) to be connected 24/7 with VA's services to overcome or prevent homelessness for yourself or a Veteran you know.   

StepForward to see how Orientation, Assessment, and Education Planning can keep you on the Fast track. Special circumstances/Students will receive “priority” registration. If you fall into one of the following groups: Former and current foster youth, Active duty military, and Recent veterans.

I Can Afford College If you are a veteran returning from active duty, the California Community Colleges can give you an education that enhances your existing skills, provides new skills, and puts you on the fast track to a rewarding job. That’s why California’s community colleges are A Smart Choice for Veterans as the largest provider of affordable career training. They also offer associate degrees and prepare students for transfer to four-year universities.

Discounted BART CARD for VETS if you are a veteran who holds a disability rating for aid and attendance or a service-connected disability with a rating level of 50 percent or higher, you must complete Part A of the Applicant Certification Form, including your VA file number. Bring in a copy of your Service Connected Disability I.D. Card and your VA Certification when submitting the Applicant Certification Form. All other veterans who do not have a credential listed in the note on page 4 are subject to the Eligibility Criteria listed in the Guide to Eligibility Criteria and must complete the entire Applicant Certification Form.

Associate Degree Transfer Process makes it possible - you make it happen. The new joint transfer program guarantees that you can transfer from a community college to a CSU. If you start community college ready to take college-level courses, you can complete your associate's and bachelor’s degrees with only 120 total units of coursework.

ACE is a guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services. ACE's Military Guide presents credit recommendations for formal courses and occupations offered by all military branches. These credit recommendations appear on the service member’s Joint Services Transcript (JST).

Student Veterans of America is excited to announce the launch of SVA Brief, a digest of resources designed to empower yesterday's warriors and today's scholars to become tomorrow's Leaders.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs(VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at​gibill.