UC Transfer

The University of California is one of two public university systems in the state of California. There are nine UC campuses that offer Bachelors degrees, and together they educate over 200,000 students: UC Berkeley, UC Davis, UC Irvine, UC Los Angeles, UC Merced, UC Riverside, UC Santa Barbara, UC Santa Cruz, and UC San Diego. The UC system not only provides an exceptional education to many thousands of students, it also serves as the state’s research institution and engages a number of public service programs and industry partnerships. The UC offers bachelor's, master's, doctoral, and professional degrees and provides a number of opportunities for post-degree continuing education.

The following information can help you learn more about how to meet requirements to enter a UC campus as a transfer student, which academic programs are offered by campus, and how to apply for transfer.

UC Transfer Admission Information & TAG (TRANSFER ADMISSION GUARANTEE)

Minimum UC Transfer Eligibility Requirements

Recommended UC Transfer Preparatation

  • 60 UC-transferable units
  • 7 UC-transferable GE courses completed with "C" grade or better and comprised of:
  • 2 courses in English Composition
  • 1 course in Mathematical Concepts/Quantitative Reasoning
  • 4 additional courses from at least two of the following disciplines: Arts & Humanities; Social/Behavioral Sciences; Physical/Biological Sciences
  • 2.4 minimum GPA for California residents.



  • 60 UC-transferable units
  • Lower division major preparation completed (see assist.org)
  • IGETC or campus-specific GE completed (for majors with low-unit prerequisites) 
  • or
  • The 7 required courses above (for majors with high-unit prerequisites)
  • 3.0+ GPA for California residents (often higher for selective campuses and/or majors)

College of Marin offers a Transfer Admission Guarantee (TAG) to six University of California campuses:

Davis, Irvine, Merced, Riverside, Santa Barbara and Santa Cruz.

To be eligible, students must have already completed at least 30 UC-transferable units with a 2.8 to 3.5 UC-transferable GPA (varies by major/campus). Please note that certain UCs and majors may have additional requirements. For more detailed information, please visit the campus' website. 
Students may apply for a Transfer Admission Guarantee to only one UC campus. Applications can be submitted online September 1st-30th. Students must also complete and submit the regular UC application by November 30th indicating their TAG school, as well as any other UC campuses they would like to apply to.
*Note: Many majors may have addional minimum requirements. Work with a counselor to determine what courses are best for you.


**For the most up to date information, visit the University of California Transfer Admission Guarantee webpage for specific requirements and to begin the online TAG application.


Students should place the highest priority on achieving minimum transfer eligibility and on completing major preparation courses. Note that major preparation requirments can differ across the UC campuses. When UC campuses receive more applications than they have room to admit, they typically select the applicants who are most prepared for their majors.
After students have planned their courses for major preparation, they can think about General Education, as oulined in the UC IGETC worksheet. GE is not required for admission; however, it is required for graduation from UC.
Students should work with a counselor and a UC advisor to understand how to prepare for their majors. This consultation will guide students to take the appropriate general education and major prep course work. Make an appointment with a College of Marin counselor by calling (415)485-9432 or make an appointment through the MyCOMportal
For more information, go to the UC Transfer Admission Requirements website.


2023-2024 Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum

IGETC (Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum) outlines which courses a student may take at a community college to complete the lower-division general education requirements at UC and CSU campuses. IGETC is not an admissions requirement and is not recommended for all majors. Students majoring in STEM fields such as Engineering, Biological and Physical Sciences or majors that require extensive lower-division preparation are not encouraged to follow IGETC. Make an appointment with a College of Marin counselor to see if IGETC is the right path for you.


Assist.org helps you find community college courses that are transferable to a UC or CSU campus, how those transferable courses might be used to satisfy major preparation or general education, and helps you understand which courses are required or recommended for transfer according to major and campus. 

*Written Instructions PDF