In State Private and Out of State Schools Transfer Information

About one third of College of Marin transfer students go to a private or out-of-state institution. For the majority of private and out-of-state campuses, College of Marin does not have articualtion agreements. Students will need to research each institution's individual transfer requirements. Note that requirements for many private and out-of-state institutions tend to be less stringent than for the UCs and CSUs, and students can often transfer with as few as 24-30 units. 

Planning your Transfer Route to an In State Private and/or Out of State School

1. Research your School(s) of Choice

2. Create an Educational Plan

3. Request a Review of your Educational Plan

  • Find out some basic information about how to transfer to the school.  
  • Go to the school’s web site to find out:
    • the minimum number of units you need to apply as a transfer student
    • minimum GPA requirements
    • lower division General Education and/or major preparation requirements
    • SAT/ACT requirement, and average score whether the institution will consider additional information in the application (such as high school record, personal statements, letters of recommendation, etc) application procedures and deadline
  • Tips:
    • To find the number of units needed to transfer and GPA requirements, look under “Admissions” on their website. If they have a “Transfer Admissions” section, even better.   
    • Lower division major prerequisites may be under the admissions section, or be on a page dedicated to your major.
    • Use some of the online resources listed under Choosing a University or College.
  • Bring your research with you to an appointment with your College of Marin counselor for help creating an educational plan.
  • Your COM counselor can offer advice on which courses to take to prepare you to transfer. However, to know with certainty which courses will transfer for you major, it will be best to contact an admissions representative at your chosen school and request an informal evaluation.

























  • Look at our University Representative List to make an appointment. If the institution you are intersted in isn't listed, go to the university's website and search their Admissions page for contact information. When emailing  a university, offer to send your proposed plan and ask the advisor for their approval or suggestions for changes. Inform the admissions advisor. Bring the results of this evaluation with you to a follow up appointment with your College of Marin counselor to make sure you have what you need to stay on the right track to transfer.




















Additional Resources:
*Make an appointment with the Transfer and Career Center to get help with your research.

Articulation Agreements


Articulation agreements are formal agreements between colleges and universities that outline courses that will transfer to meet admission, general education, or major preparation requirements for a specific academic program or degree. College of Marin has articulation agreements with the following private and out-of-state institutions: 


California Independent Colleges and Universities

Out-of-State Colleges and Universities

California Community Colleges


Association of Independent California Colleges and Universities (AICCU)

The Association of Independent California Colleges and Universities (AICCU) represents over 75 nonprofit private schools in California. The universities and colleges that belong to this association are accredited and reputable.

Many AICCU schools accept CSU GE Breadth and/or IGETC for general education requirements. Visit for a detailed list. But be sure to also check with a counselor to understand which general education requirements you should complete for your school and major of choice.

*For more information on member institutions, visit



General Education Worksheets