Course Placement Options

What courses can I enroll in?  
Here are different ways to get placed into courses or improve your placement: 

1.  High School Performance

  • Qualifying 11th or 12th grade U.S. high school records* within the last 10 years

(GPA and specific Math and/or English grades)

*Not available for ESL course placement.

If you received a U.S. high school diploma within the last 10 years, you may already have course placement.

  • To check if you have course placement already, log on to your MyCOM Portal
  • Go to the Students tab. In the Student Dashboard, click on Placement Results under Records.

You can use another method of course placement if you want to place into a higher level course. Your highest placement will be used.

If you do not have any course placements, and would like your high school transcript to be evaluated, please make an appointment to see a College of Marin counselor.


2.  Exams

  • Recent College of Marin Accuplacer placement tests (taken before February 9, 2019)

  • Scores from valid, approved placement tests taken at other two-year California community colleges

  • An Advanced Placement (AP) score of 3 or higher in the subject area (see the catalog for the Advanced Placement Chart for College of Marin Credit)
  • A qualifying SAT score in English and/or Math
  • Valid 11th grade Early Assessment Program (EAP) results that satisfy placement conditions:

Standard Exceeded score on CAASPP for English and/or mathematics
C or better in approved 12th grade English and/or mathematics course and Standard Met score on CAASPP for English and/or mathematics

3.  Prerequisite Equivalency  

  • Completion of an equivalent course at College of Marin or another post-secondary accredited institution in that subject area (verified by a transcript)
  • Completed Associate, Bachelor or higher degree from a post-secondary accredited institution

**If you received your U.S. high school diploma more than 10 years ago, have not completed 11th grade in high school, or want to enroll in ESL courses, you will need to take the College of Marin placement test.