First impressions are important, especially when interviewing for a job! Make sure you:
- Dress appropriately
- Are clean in appearance
- Arrive 10 minutes early to the interview
- Be courteous and polite
- Be aware of your body language – stand and sit upright
- Show enthusiasm - Smile!
Other ways to prepare for the interview include:
- Research the company beforehand
- Have responses ready for common interview questions
- Practice your interview responses
- Have some questions of your own (not about salary or benefits)
Common interview questions include:
- Can you tell me a little about yourself?
- Tell me what you know about this company.
- What motivates you to do a good job?
- What are your strengths and weaknesses?
- Tell me how you keep a positive attitude when the job gets stressful.
- Describe a problem you faced and how you solved that problem.
- Tell me about a time when you were swamped with work and how you handled it.
- Describe a difficult decision you had to make.
- Tell me about a time when you showed initiative at work.
- Tell me about a project you worked on.
- Tell me where you expect to be 5 years from now.
- Do you have any questions for me?
For more information on interviews and how best to prepare, check out any of the many print resources we have in the Transfer and Career Center.