The College of Marin welcomes students from all aspects of life. With the diversity of experiences and needs, the following information links are available to assist students with immigration questions and support, shelter, food, insurance, legal aid, tax aid, and more.
Please note that the following programs are not housed within the SAA office. Links are provided for informational purposes only.
UNDOCUMENTED IMMIGRANTS - IMPORTANT INFORMATION AND RESOURCES
What We Know for Sure
- Students should still apply for admission to College.
- The CA Dream Act is safe - Cal Grants, Institutional Scholarships, DREAM Loans, EOPS, and the BOG Waiver will all still remain intact for undocumented students.
- CA driver's licenses for undocumented people are safe.
- CA has the strongest protections for undocumented people of any state in the union, particularly when it comes to ICE and law enforcement, in the form of the TRUTH ACT: www.catruthact.org
- California Community Colleges Chancellor's Office
No new initial DACA applications will be accepted after September 5, 2017.
UPDATE AS OF AUGUST 21, 2018: Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)
- RENEWAL FOR DACA is still being accepted. Given the current national conversation, however, it is important to check the latest status of DACA. Visit USCIS for the most current information.
- If you have NEVER had DACA status before, you CANNOT apply for it at this time.
DACA recipients are encouraged to go to Canal Alliance for DACA renewal assistance. ADDRESS:130 Alto Street, San Rafael, or call 415-306-0437 to make an appointment.
- Si tu estatus de DACA ya ha caducado, puedes solicitar una renovación.
- Si tu estatus de DACA caducará en los siguientes 150 días, y no antes, puedes solicitar una renovación.
- Si tu estatus de DACA caducó hace más que un año, es posible que podrías completar una nueva solicitud de DACA.
- Si NUNCA has tenido DACA, NO puedes solicitarlo en este momento.
- Los beneficiarios de DACA pueden venir a Canal Aliance oficina en 130 Alto Street, San Rafael, o llamar 415-306-0437 para hacer una cita. No vamos a cobrar por estas citas, y habrá ayuda financiera para los gastos administrativos de $495.
For Immigrant/Undocumented Immigrant Communities & Allies
DACA is still being accepted. Given the current national conversation, however, it is important to check the latest status of DACA. Visit USCIS for the most current information.
- Immigrants Rising (Includes scholarship guides)
- United We Dream
- National Immigration Law Center
- Immigrant Justice Center
- Immigrant Legal Resource Center
*There are differing views on what is considered "safe" at this time for undocumented immigrants. PLEASE contact the organization and ASK QUESTIONS to be informed about your options.
Grab a meal right here at COM Visit the Health Center in Lot 6 and look out for the pop-up pantry with baked goods every Tuesday in the Student Services Center.
The government program that issues monthly electronic benefits that can be used to buy most foods at many markets and food stores.
Covered California Health Insurance
Covered California is the place where Californians can get brand-name health insurance under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.
Legal aid to build a pathway to success for immigrant families to overcome poverty and injustice, so they can become tomorrow’s leaders.
Family and Children's Law Center
Provides quality, low-cost legal services to families on matters ranging from domestic violence and immigration to child custody, visitation, and support.
Legal Self-Help Services
Provides free, quality legal services to low-income, vulnerable, and underserved residents without an attorney; all services are accessible to Spanish-speaking residents. Services include legal document preparation and help with filing, assistance with legal reference materials, and legal research.
Legal Aid of Marin
Provides access to the civil justice system to low-income, vulnerable, and otherwise underserved residents of Marin County.
Fair Housing Advocates of Northern California
Full-service fair housing agency in Marin County and housing counseling agency in Marin County certified by the US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). They provide varying levels of fair housing services and mortgage foreclosure prevention services as well as advisory and training services in Marin and Sonoma counties.
New Beginnings Law Center
The New Beginnings Law Center provides legal services and advocacy to individuals with a criminal history. Services include sealing juvenile records, sealing/destroying adult arrest records, misdemeanor expungement, felony modifications, and veterans’ restorative relief.
RELATIONSHIP VIOLENCE PREVENTION AND SUPPORT
Center for Domestic Peace
Support and assistance for victims and survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault.
Get FREE help for tax preparation
Earned Income Tax Credit (CalEITC)