Guided Self-Placement for English Courses
This guide can help you figure out which College of Marin English course is the best fit for you. This is NOT a test. This process is especially helpful for students who do not know their High School GPA or who graduated High School more than 10 years ago.
To get started, please answer the questions below, and then click on the link at the bottom of this page to read the course descriptions, as well as representative essay assignments and readings, for each course. After you have read through the course information, you can select the class that fits you best. We highly recommend that you then meet with a College of Marin counselor to discuss which English class would work best for you.
If you are an English language learner (ESL student), please see the ESL Placement Process page.
1. I have written a 4+ page persuasive essay with a thesis.
|2. I have written essays that used information from print or online sources.|
|3. I know how to underline and take notes on articles or readings for school.|
|4. I write mostly clear, grammatically correct sentences.|
|5. I know how to tackle a hard reading for school.|
6. I read regularly outside of school.
7. I have strong study habits.
|8. I usually make a plan or follow a schedule to complete my schoolwork on time.|
Please count your number of "Strongly Agree" and "Agree" responses.
- If you answered "strongly agree" or "agree" to 6 or more of the 8 questions above, then you are likely to be ready for a transferable English 150 course.
- If you agreed with fewer than 6 of the questions, then we recommend you examine the English course descriptions to see which course you think will fit best for you.
If you have questions or would like additional assistance, please make an appointment with a counselor.