The College of Marin welcomes students from all aspects of life. With the diversity of experiences and needs, the following information links are available to assist students with immigration questions and support, shelter, food, insurance, legal aid, tax aid, and more.
Please note that the following programs are not housed within the SAA office. Links are provided for informational purposes only.
UNDOCUMENTED IMMIGRANTS - IMPORTANT INFORMATION AND RESOURCES
What We Know for Sure
- The CA Dream Act is safe - Cal Grants, Institutional Scholarships, DREAM Loans, EOPS, and the BOG Waiver will all still remain intact for undocumented students.
- CA driver's licenses for undocumented people are safe.
- CA has the strongest protections for undocumented people of any state in the union, particularly when it comes to ICE and law enforcement, in the form of the TRUTH ACT: http://www.catruthact.org/
- California Community Colleges Chancellor's Office: http://www.cccco.edu/ResourcesforUndocumentedStudents.aspx
Know Your Rights
American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) link (dealing with ICE, combating Islamaphobia, filming law enforcement, etc.) https://www.aclu.org/know-your-rights
How to Fight Deportation: http://kpblawyers.blogspot.com/2016/11/how-to-fight-your-deportation.html
For Immigrant/Undocumented Immigrant Communities & Allies
- Educators for Fair Consideration (E4FC - includes scholarship guides): http://www.e4fc.org/
- United We Dream: http://unitedwedream.org/
- ASPIRE: https://www.facebook.com/aspireforjustice/
- National Immigration Law Center: https://www.nilc.org/
- Immigrant Justice Center: http://www.immigrantjustice.org/
- Immigrant Legal Resource Center: https://www.ilrc.org/daca-talking-points
*There are differing views on what is considered "safe" at this time for undocumented immigrants. PLEASE contact the organization and ASK QUESTIONS to be informed about your options.
HOMELESSNESS AND SHELTER SUPPORT
Ambassadors of Hope (AHO)
Support for homeless youth 18-24. No one is turned away.
74 Portola Lane, Mill Valley, CA 94941
Call 211 for Shelter, Housing, Food support and more.
FOOD SECURITY AND INSURANCE SUPPORT
Grab a meal right here at COM Visit the Health Center in Lot 6 and look out for the pop-up pantry with baked goods every Tuesday in Student Services Center.
The government program that issues monthly electronic benefits that can be used to buy most foods at many markets and food stores.
Covered California Health Insurance
Covered California is the place where Californians can get brand-name health insurance under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.
Legal aid to build a pathway to success for immigrant families to overcome poverty and injustice, so they can become tomorrow’s leaders.
RELATIONSHIP VIOLENCE PREVENTION SUPPORT
Center for Domestic Peace
Support and assistance for victims and survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault.
Get FREE help for tax preparation
Earned Income Tax Credit (CalEITC)