Placement tests are offered for math, English, and English as a Second Language (ESL). Placement testing or its equivalent is required as proof of eligibility for a number of classes.
Math, English, and Credit level ESL tests are given on the Accuplacer module, a computer-based, adaptive test. English and math placements or their equivalents are required as proof of eligibility for any course that has English or math prerequisites.
(Example: Biology 110 has a prerequisite of English 98 and Math 95. A student must place into English 120 or higher and Math 101 or higher to enroll in Biology 110.)
Students generally receive a placement score immediately following completion of their test session. Math, English, and Credit level ESL tests are offered year-round.
Students are allowed two attempts for each of the tests per year with a two-week wait period before the second attempt. A third attempt may be allowed within a calendar year if a student has prepared for the test (through completed coursework or independent study), which must be verified by a College of Marin counselor.
Noncredit English as a Second Language (CR-ESL) placement tests are offered through the ESL office for students who have beginning to intermediate levels of English. Please contact the ESL office if you have questions about non-credit level ESL classes.
*Please note that these study materials are not a guarantee of placement.*
Math and English
- Click here to download sample Classic Accuplacer test questions
- Access the web-based Accuplacer Study App: https://accuplacerpractice.collegeboard.org
- Access test practice material and information from the College Board website: https://accuplacer.collegeboard.org/student/practice
- Practice Tests and "Exam Secrets" books are available at the reserve desk of Kentfield and Indian Valley libraries for 1-hour in-library use.
- Free Accuplacer Test Preparation Course: http://www.mometrix.com/blog/free-accuplacer-test-prep-course/
- More general study aid can be found at: https://www.khanacademy.org/ and http://www.saddleback.edu/faculty/lperez/algebra2go/
- Review material provided by College of Marin faculty can be found below. Please note that these review problems are for study purposes only and are not representative of actual test questions.
- For more information about the math and English placement tests go to: http://accuplacer.collegeboard.org/students/accuplacer-tests
Schedule a Placement Test
Appointments may be made in person at our office, over the phone, or online through the MyCOM portal.
Our office is located at the Kentfield Campus in the Student Services Building, Room 238. Please see our monthly schedule to see what our available hours.
To schedule over the phone, please call the Assessment and Testing Center at (415) 485-9469, Monday through Friday (Please note that the College of Marin is closed on Fridays in the summer months). If we are unable to answer your call, please leave a message with your name, student number, day and time you wish to test, which test you wish to take, and a contact phone number. We will return your call at our earliest convenience.
Schedule an Appointment Online
To schedule an appointment online, logon to MyCOM portal. Click on the Students Tab. In the Student Services and Resources box, click on Assessment and Testing. Follow the instructions.
Cancellations and Rescheduling
If you are unable to attend a test, please cancel your existing appointment through MyCOM portal or by contacting the Assessment and Testing Center as soon as you can. If you need to reschedule your test you may then schedule a new appointment using the normal scheduling methods. There is no penalty for a cancelled appointment.